Adding Twitter Cards22 Feb 2015
It’s really nice to see Twitter starting to open up to developers again after a long period of wanting to keep everything closed.
In theory it’s as simple as this (according to their web site):
- Choose a card type you want to implement.
- Add the pertinent meta tags to your page.
- Run your URL against the validator tool to be approved.
- After approval, tweet the URL and see the Card appear below your tweet.
- Use Twitter Card analytics to measure your results.
This is the first post I’ll tweet when the new meta-tags have been added, so the post may take a couple of goes to get working. I’ve been approved (apply via the validation tool) and it all looks good, so fingers crossed!
Update - It worked!
Not quite as I expected - on the Twitter web site there was a “View Summary” link rather than it being automatically inline, but it looks quite good:
In the iOS app you get a little card icon next to the time posted (which I’ve not noticed before but is actually on a few tweets now I see it), and you get the full experience if you click on the tweet. Nice :)